Friday, August 3, 2007

Know about Koyaanisqatsi

Finally got around to watching the movie “Koyaanisqatsi.” Ever since I have been old enough to like movies (and difficult enough to not immediately do whatever they ask of me) my parents have been telling me to watch “Koyaanisqatsi.” These rare-but-memorable conversations would usually go something like this:

MY MOM OR DAD
You really should watch “Koyaanisqatsi,” it’s really great and you’d like it.

ME
Why would I watch this movie? What is it even about? Does Bruce Willis drive any vehicles into people/objects in it?

MY MOM OR DAD
It doesn’t really have a plot, it is a collection of scenes, mostly landscapes and cityscapes set to music by Philip Glass. It’s pretty mesmerizing.

ME
You are just reading the back of the box.

MY MOM OR DAD
No.

ME
...

MY MOM OR DAD
Yes. Watch the movie.

ME
Okay, yeah, I will sometime (goes another year without watching the movie, watches many movies in which Bruce Willis drives vehicles into things).

But today was the day, it seems. After waking up to the brutal noises of The Place’s roof being repaired or replaced or removed I found myself unable to sleep, dying of sweltering heat, and with well over an hour and a half of free time on my hands. So I got out the movie and I put it in the computer and I watched the movie. Man, it was good. There is no plot, and it is just shots of landscapes and things, and it is set to music by Philip Glass, and I did enjoy it a lot, and it was mesmerizing. So I guess my parents were right. Again. Maybe someday I will get to be right about everything?

No comments: