Thursday, February 12, 2009

What Did the Weather do Somewhere Else?
or
Places I Used to Live Keep Getting Fucked Up

You may recall (or, more likely, not recall) that in June of last year the city in which I spent the first (almost) ten years of my life got terribly flooded on. Now, as of a couple days ago, a more recent ex-town of mine has been Attacked by God Himself. Listen: part of me - the sensible, higher-level-reasoning part of me - is glad that I was not still around when swirling laser-winds of death descended from the heavens upon part of my old neighborhood and (more lethally) on some bullshit town down south that I'd never heard of and don't care about. There is, however, a strong nagging sense of having missed out on one of the Main Things that will probably happen around there for awhile, as well as the knowledge that I could have a way better tornado story than my current-and-only "one time when I was 17 I cut class and drove home from school in the violent downpour of a supercell while a wall cloud was lowering just half a mile away, and my mom was pissed at me for 2 reasons when I got home."

Anyway, Please enjoy the rest of this post, which is comprised entirely of pictures from my old neighborhood, a kind of place I don't like having to explain to people I've met since graduating high school, since being honest about it usually winds up in desperately and carefully apologizing for its gated-communityness, its attachment to a golf course, and all the things such a format and juxtaposition bring to mind.














photos courtesy of Brenda(?) who emailed them to my mom, and who needs to turn off that timestamp feature because we live in a digital fucking age in which metadata renders neon orange save-the-dates wildly obsolete.

No comments: