Monday, April 14, 2008

What Have I Been Up To?

While I am loath to self-report, and, even worse, self-congratulate, because it is Casual Time here at this blog there is no excuse for me not to make my main accomplishment of the last week into something you will wind up reading about. I do not want this to become a habit though, and I know you don’t either. I will try to keep things brief.

As you may or may not already be aware, I am essentially always on the lookout for objects the likes of which will serve dual functions of being utterly indispensable in my daily life while also lending credence to the widely-held theory that I am secretly an old person. While this collection of useful and reassuringly heavy items did a decent job of writing things and sometimes cutting my face, it did nothing for my time spent at a computer or walking around in a typical fashion. Fortunately, somebody else had the neat idea of taking olde time radio headsets and putting modern-day headphones inside of them, so this past week I co-opted that idea and made these. And also these.

Listen: there is nothing more dangerous than being met with success when undertaking projects like these. Typically when I set out to do something that isn’t dependent on sitting passively in front of a screen things do not turn out positively, which reinforces the important “do not try things” lesson. The last time this happened was when I got it in my head that making these was a good way to spend the last summer I’d get to be around my old friends, and things got pretty out of hand*. Unfortunately, the outcome of this most recent endeavor has given me the same kind of reckless ambition I had the last time I got to cut things apart with a Dremel tool. Pretty soon I will become a fixture down at the hardware store and the only website I’ll ever check will be Instructables. Sorry in advance everybody.

*Listen: going through the dungeons of the internet to find the picture of those light saber hilts turned into sort of a beautiful and terrifying photographic summary of a brief period of my life. Now you know the wonder and the shame I felt then and now.

1 comment:

Alex said...

man i've been getting mad compliments for mine. great job.